Geelong to Uganda

Geelong to Uganda
Google image of trip from Geelong (my home) in Australia to Karamoja, Uganda!

Sunday 11 November 2012

More car trouble

So the story of the last few days: Get invited to a village, they slaughter a goat for us, car breaks down in village, walk 10 km to nearest town to get help, friendly missionaries tow us back to their place to fix truck. Thursday we realise truck has serious issues. 
Friday we drive in convoy down to Mbale to get parts and fix engine. Get stuck in mud and rear axle falls off said vehicle. Front light gets smashed. Have to drive the rest of the 7 hrs in 2WD. Get properly bogged 10 more times. Get pulled out 10 more times by Jesse VanGorkom (so grateful). Arrive in Mbale. Just. Saturday 9am hitch a ride with rock n roll lovin, rodeo junky Texan missionaries back up to north Karamoja (Kaabong)... Awesome fun.
10 hrs later arrive in one of the most beautiful places, body is sore but God is gracious. Saturday arvo hear that Bob Wright and the OPC team have fixed our engine and are getting the axle fixed now now. Amazing how things work out right?
Dangerous Predicament crossing the river

Bogged in a rut caused by big trucks

Our truck 
 

2 comments:

  1. sounds like an adventure! have to admit i cant imagine getting bogged 10 times in one night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you two tough'n rocking K'ja chicks.
    To read about your daily adventures makes me feel sad and happy the same time. Sad, cause I miss it so much, happy cause I still get some glimpses of what is going on up there...
    My heart and prayers are still with you and KaChEP.
    Praying, you have a good time with the folks in Kaabong and around, especially as it is the most beautiful and awesome place I know (beside Zanzibar).

    When I first read, that Summer doesn't want "Lokudo" anymore, I was kind of embarrassed (well, I had a lot of fun and adventure with this LandCruiser...! -so forgive me) but I know it is the right decision. I hope, it will still bring you and her all the ways you need to go until a new truck is available.

    My impression is you two K'ja chicks are really doing good work up there and deepened the relationship to neighbours even more. Praise God for that!

    Be and stay blessed. "Akuj eyai!"
    "Nakut" -Miriam

    ps: I had some problems to log in with another account (eg wordpress), don't know why... Now I needed to use my old Google-Account ?!

    ReplyDelete