Geelong to Uganda

Geelong to Uganda
Google image of trip from Geelong (my home) in Australia to Karamoja, Uganda!

Monday 19 December 2011

The preparations as they currently stand :)

Before I leave for Uganda in 2012, there are a few things to do. Before I leave, I get to go to two weddings of good, good friends, both in January. After the second of these, I am enrolled to do a Bible story telling workshop in Nundle (where the hector is that you ask? 1hr Sth of Tamworth) which I am really stoked and pumped for. Reading the Bible in story-form is a very common way to spread the good news of Jesus to people groups that mostly cannot read or write in English or even their native tongue. The best way they learn is through verbal communication.

That brings us to February where I have plans to work and work and work and maybe in my free time work some more :) Just kidding I might do some cultural reading and research on the animals I will find myself helping as well!
I had planned and hoped to leave late February, however I have been advised by those much wiser than I to do some cross-cultural training as well and there is a course in mid-march in SA. So I am going to hang around for that :)
The course is called MIST and is organised and ran by mission interlink; groups combining for it are CMS, Interserve, SIM, OM and some theological colleges as well. It will teach and deal with issues such as: knowing and sharing your faith, culture stress/shock, cross-cultural communication, health and practicalities, "being" in another culture and re-entry (to Aus).

Thankfully I now only have 1of the seven injections left to go, having had my second rabies one today and so now can focus on Christmas and celebrating our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ's birthday :)
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

"She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name JESUS, because he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” which is translated, “God with us”.  Matthew 1:21-23

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm injections. Sweet as otherwise. That is cool as you get to go. Praying you'll be learning lots at your courses. (Ignore the name I'm Mikey Huntington, you know me.)

    ReplyDelete